"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."
-Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Friday, September 10, 2010

Procrastination...study abroad style

Though it may seem that I'm simply on vacation in a beautiful country (which honestly is about half true), I actually have homework.  I'm surrounded by some other students on the trip in a coffee shop and we are frantically attempting to finish the journals that are due tomorrow about our time in Stratford.  When there is so much to explore, who really wants to do journals? :)

So I'm going to share one of my favorite parts of Dublin with yall...Howth Harbour.  I have this little problem of sometimes feeling like I'm living in a movie, and I compare this treasure to the oceanside where David Copperfield meets Little Emily.  After spending many days in the city of Dublin sight seeing at the museums and historical sites, I decided that I wanted to go on an adventure.  Enter Howth Harbour.  After class, Catie, Katlyn, Stephanie, Kirby-Annah and I boarded the DART (Dublin public transportation) and made our way toward the Harbour.  Now all we knew was that this was a popular place to visit around Dublin, so imagine our joy when we began to catch glimpses of the  beautiful countryside from the train windows.

We stepped out of the train and were among a quaint assortment of houses, seafood restaurants, and boats.  The air tasted deliciously of salt and smelled strongly of fish, which I LOVED!  A seal splashed up at us from the water and graciously posed for a few pictures.  We walked along the pier, constantly taking pictures of the cliffs behind us.  Perhaps the best moment of the afternoon occurred after we had trekked up the hill and stopped to sit on a stone wall.  We could see out across the bright blue ocean to another island not far off.  The waves crashed against the rocks.  The sun actually shone (this place can never make up its mind about what whether it wants so being wet really isn't that big of a deal anymore)!   It was a perfect day, complete with bright blue sky!  We sat on the stone wall simply gazing at the beauty of the earth, and my heart just worshipped in the quietness...

View between the bars of the gate at my future house
sitting on the wall and basking in the sunshine

Me standing on the pier at Howth Harbour

Perfect day...

1 comment: