"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."
-Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Heather on the Hills

Imagine waking up on a moving bus.  You look out the window and are greeted by pastures filled with sheep, hills blanketed with heather, and in the middle of all this majesty, sits a stone cottage in the grove of trees.  And as the bus moves farther onward the hills soon are lined with a running stone wall that borders a forest of pine trees (I guess that may be called a glen, but I really just made that up).  That is my life.  And I honestly can't believe it..movie mood is beautifully enjoyable and lifegiving.  My senses are being continually fed and as I look out the window over Edinburgh (from I'm sad to say a starbucks...I know flog me for my american addiction and the free wifi) I can imagine this being life.  I can imagine walking to work each morning amid the many windowed stone buildings, the quaint cafes, and the many woolen shops.  As we drove into the city the sides of the street gave perfect views of the castles sitting on either side of the city, crumbling, yet enchanting.  They literally are perched there.

The next few days are left up to our desires, so now the search of the city begins.  But here is a overview of the last few days that were spend in Carlisle, England.  One day was spend visiting the Lake Districts and after seeing the scenery that surrounded Wordsworth's home and the land of Beatrix Potter I can understand how they produced such beautiful literature.  I loved visiting Dove Cottage, which was Wordsworth's home, and learning about his life. He had such a tender friendship with his sister Dorothy and yes Tyler made me think of you and how thankful I am for you as a brother.  After touring his home, Stephanie and Rachel and I ventured up a country lane, bordered by hydrangeas and stone walls interspersed with iron gates.  And then we stumbled upon magical berries (actually wild raspberries).  Now, I know that the rule is never to eat anything you find but oops we broke the rule.  And they were delicious!  Pure magic.  It was like tasting the beauty of the countryside.

will post pics very soon!

3 comments:

  1. did you sing "Heather on the Hill?" like you said you were going to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving reading your blog and keeping up with you while you are there!! Making me long to be in a city that is old, historic, quaint - don't you just love Europe? Whenever I make it to Ireland you can remind me of all the great places to visit!

    ReplyDelete