"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."
-Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Goodbye to Molly Malone

In Dublin's fair city, where the girls are so pretty, I first set me eyes on sweet Molly Malone. And she wheeled the wheelbarrow through the streets wide and narrow, crying
 'Cockles and Mussels a-live a-live o!'

Alas, we have left that fair city of Molly Malone and now we are once again on the move to Scotland, where I hope to find and purchase some family tartan, ensnare the Loch Ness Monster and attend an evening of Irish dancing!  We are currently staying in the cutest hotel with a huge wardrobe in our room (anyone thinking Narnia?)  I'm now rooming with the wonderful Caroline and we have already broken out the crosswords!  I love it!

Ireland has been so good to us.  Today we stood on the docks of the ferry as it ushered us away from the green coast and waved goodbye to the most beautiful land that I have ever seen...and I can't help but ponder all of the amazing things I have seen, moments I have had, and things I have experienced.  Here are just a few snapshot moments.

1) One day we visited these cliffs and lava rocks called the Giants Causeway.  The walk begins by going along these huge cliffs that overlook the crashing waves below and the Causeway itself (the causeway is hard to describe but it is technically a bunch of hexagonal rocks that are all pushed together at different heights).  After walking these cliff paths we headed down MANY stairs to the causeway.  I'm once again feeling like one of the goats in the Three Billie Goats Gruff... But once we reached the Causeway it was all worth it!  Each stone combined to form a series of steps all at different levels.  One of the girls described it as an enormous stone playground.  It was indescribable...

2) Getting lost in the morning in Belfast as we search for the Marketplace.  Finally finding the marketplace and getting to smell fresh fish in the morning...no one believes me that I really love that smell. 

3) Final night in  Ireland we crossed the street to a pub called Robinsons and meandered into the back room where there was live Irish fiddling.  The place was filled with people but we still found room for dancing to Irish music and the night finished up with the classic Galway Girl.  It was wonderful to dance all around with friends as we celebrated the wonderful times we have had in Ireland.

Ireland was a land of magic...and it wasn't just all the rainbows that I got to see.   I wish that all of my pictures could capture this world, but I feel like all I can do is just absorb everything.  I will probably post more very soon so stay tuned for more info and pics

2 comments:

  1. Chelsea, I'm liking the blog. Ireland sounds enchanting. I wish you would try to describe the things you say are "indescribable"

    remember to explore yourself in different situations

    xoxo k

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, are you going by your middle name now that you are in Scotland? Love you, Mckenzie! :)

    ReplyDelete