"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."
-Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Thursday, September 30, 2010

A daytrip to Bawth: the Home of Baths, Buns, and Mr. Darcy

After many weeks of life on the road, we have finally arrived in the ultimate destination...London.  The city is incredibly diverse, and as we drove in we were bombarded by shops, restaurants, flashing signs for musicals and the occasional green of a park.  It seems unreal to think that we will be here for two months after moving from place to place every other day.  As we have just arrived, I don't have much to write about London (yet!) but I want to share about our final stop in Bath (pronounced Bawth according to Nick Radel).

Though most of us were ready for the gypsy life of peanut butter to end, this stop ended up being one of my favorite places filled with so much history.  The day began with a trip to the Roman Baths, making me want to jump into the steaming water, but alas there were signs warning not to even touch the water.  Unfortunately, I saw that sign after I had already dipped my finger into the steaming water.  Don't fret I'm still alive to compose this post.  Then after that scare we tasted the refreshing spa water, which actually tasted quite disgusting...not too rejuvenating.  The Baths were interesting, for I didn't realize the extent to which they were used, as a bathing, exercising, and even worship center!


Anna Laura and I at the Roman Baths...this is the one I mistakingly touched :)


Supposedly Bath is famous at this restaurant for these Bath Buns.  Yes, we took this picture with the entire group looking on at us.

 If the baths weren't incredible enough with all the stonework they had preserved, the day just continued to get better with a visit to the Costume Museum.  Perhaps you will be interested in the fact that we saw Jlo's dress?  I think the more interesting exhibit was the 10 dress exhibit of Princess Diana, which emphasized the power she yeilded through her wardrobe.  What a unqiue and amazing woman to watch her progress from a teen wearing a flowing child's party dress to a young princess in a pink frilly costume with an off-kilter hat to an older woman confidently embracing life in a black jumper.  It was intriguing to see the impact that clothing can have on the surrounding society, and also the way that it reflects the changing times and values.

And as the cherry on top of the day, THE JANE AUSTEN CENTER.  To those of you who may not know...Jane and I would have been kindred spirits.   Other than being filled with Mr. Darcy Memorobilia, the Center gave a full overview of Jane's family life, her time in Bath, and the stories she based here.  Also, did you know that Jane was shy?  She published her first novel as "A Lady."  I just have so much respect for this woman and love her perceptions of the world.  I feel like she may have been quieter but she didn't miss a thing.  If only I could write down all the stories of this trip; how many characters I would have to share with you all!


Come hither.  At the Austen Center I learned the art of speaking with a fan.


Well, cheerio from London, more to come.

Current movies I'm living in:
1) Mary Poppins: Chim Chiminy...
2) Peter Pan: Oh Peter, I can see all the houses that the family would have lived in
3) My Fair Lady: we actually saw the columns were the opening scenes take place

Just a few more glimpses of the final times of gypsy tour:


At the Bath Abbey, there was a 35 part embroidery exhibit representing the life of Jesus.  Mom, you would have loved it; it reminded me so much of Homeless Bird.  It was just beautiful to see all the intricate stitches and how each color and shape was representative of a piece of the story.  I think that this may have been Jesus filling the disciples' nets with fish.


Bath Abbey: 56 different panes represented different moments in the life of Christ



StoneHenge! Need I say more?

No comments:

Post a Comment