"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."
-Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Night Three, Show Three

You know that you are on a theatre trip and love theatre when three days in a row you see productions and are still as excited as the first night.  This week we went to the National Theatre of London to see Danton's Death; we are seeing Noel Coward's Deathtrap this evening and the cream between those two cookies was my favorite, LES MIS!

I have been talking about seeing Les Mis pretty much since this trip began, and I can't even express how tense I was last night waiting for concessions tickets to go on sale.  If anyone is curious, concessions tickets are cheaper students tickets for whatever seats are still available for the evening.  About an hour before the production, the tickets go on sale to the first come.  I thought we would just pop over to the theatre and pick them up but we actually formed a line in front of the theatre.  I like couldn't talk to anyone I was so passionate about getting in and getting a ticket.  And after three people, I had in my hand a ticket (and an hour until the show)!

The moment the orchestra struck up the first chord of the show a smile came onto my face, and honestly chills ran through my body.  The curtain lifted, the show began.  It once again revealed to me how passionate I am about this story.  It gives off so much of the gospel.  Here is a brief tidbit for any unfamiliar, plus each of the parts that I find meaningful.  The play follows the story of Jean Valjean, a convict imprisoned for 19 years due to stealing a loaf of bread.  The story begins at the moment he is released from prison, and follows his redemption and Javert's (the policeman) pursuit of him.  I think one of the most beautiful moments is when Valjean wrestles with who he is.  After receiving mercy from a priest who gives him candlesticks after he has stolen them, Valjean disposes of his past identity as 24601 (his prison number) and takes on a new man.  That is the same mercy we are shown when Christ paid our debt and made us a new creation.  It is so exciting to see such truth put to music.  It is powerful.

Another moment, (and if you haven't heard this song please listen to it) The Confrontation between Javert and Valjean.  Javert was especially incredible, confronting Valjean in an epic song.  The music was beautiful.  The set transformed into a barricade before my eyes.  The entire stage revolved, revealing different locations and scenes.  I teared up when Gavroche died.  I laughed, I cried, it was a good night.  It was all that I had hope for...Can I just see Les Mis every night?

And if that wasn't enough to blow your mind let me tell you about the first theatre adventure of this week at the National Theatre we saw Danton's Death, where the play closed with a guillotine execution.  And I don't mean the lights went out; heads actually fell.  After two days of that, I don't know how theatre can just keep getting better...

No comments:

Post a Comment