"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."
-Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Life in London

Now I have never been a big city girl, but every person who knows my directional abilities would be impressed with the progress I have made in London.  I can get to Hyde Park; I can navigate the Tube; I can even use the bus system.  And I made one of my favorite purchases yet: a wonderful map, complete with markets listed.  I have not gotten lost (other than once, but that was more like finding my way back creatively), and I really am falling more in love with this city every day.

Every day unfolds here, bringing something unexpected.  Classes have once again begun, but they are primarily just times of discussion the morning after going to see a production.  Don’t worry; I’m not working too hard.  So far we have only seen one play as a group, Krapp’s Last Tape (starring DUMBLEDORE, for all my fellow Harry Potter fans).  The production was an hour documenting one man’s 69th birthday.  Every year on his birthday he makes a tape recording all the highlights of the past year.  The entire stage was black with one bright down light hanging over Krapp’s head, emphasizing his isolation.  Michael Gambon was one of the most incredible actors I have seen, and each one of his movements was carefully and meaningfully selected to characterize Krapp.  It was masterful to watch such an accomplished actor work.
           
Other theatre has been just as enjoyable.  One night Catie and I treated ourselves to seeing Agatha Christie’s Mousetrap, the longest running production in London. I think it may be in its 59thish year.  At one point Catie and I were grasping hands, waiting for the murderer to strike!  We came out of the theatre all smiles after enjoying an evening of pure entertainment.  Alas, I cannot reveal the secret to any of you though; the actors made us swear to keep the murderer under wraps.  You will just have to see it for yourself.
           
Tonight marked my first encounter with physical theatre and puppetry (other than seeing Cinderella as a child- not quite the same).  Cortney and I went and saw 9:21 to Shrub Hill, and again I left the theatre with huge smiles.  This production documented the transport of a variety of passengers on the 9:21 train and in some sense it migrated around the presence of a child.  Each character was so real (in fact they had a thoroughly confused American student, who I could easily commiserate with), and the production was beautiful, combining movement, music, and dialogue. What a perfect Saturday evening.

Other week highlights are as follows:

1) Seeing the original portrait of Jane Austen at the Portrait Gallery.  We also were able to see the entire Tudor and Stuart line throughout their portraits.  I may have a fascination with the court life of that time period...maybe it is because my mom and I watched about a million Henry VIII movies. 

2) Hyde Park: After “watching” the changing of the guard (it felt like the Macy’s Day Parade with the amount of people there), Cortney, Katelyn, and I basked in the sun as we walked through Hyde Park.  We were beyond excited at the opportunity to spend a day in the sunshine and were even more surprised when we stumbled across a boating opportunity in the park.  So we spent an hour of our afternoon rowing around the Serpentine in Hyde Park.  A little bit of The Notebook in our lives.  And let me tell you, it is highly romanticized in the movies! I spent a lot of my rowing times taking us in unnecessary circles.  Never the less it was an amazing experience.

3) Need to Breathe Concert: Thursday night, after a day exploring the Cliffs of Dover, Canterbury, and Dover Castle, a group of us went to the Need to Breathe Concert.  Believe it or not for those of you who don’t know, this group is a band from South Carolina!  All the way in London we rocked the night away to some great music from my home state.  It was like a little taste of home and a night of incredible music.  I officially spend about an hour today listening to their music. 

4) Seeing Big Ben...need I say more?

5) Notting Hill Market: this morning we took the tube out to Nottinghill and spent much of the day exploring the famous Portobello Market.  This market lines the entire street; we thought it was never-ending.  Imagine more antiques, clothing, food, and anything else you may want to buy lining the streets.  Then add in millions of people and you have the market.

6) Harrods: This place is unreal.  It has a department for everything, and not only are all of the items sparkling, but the building itself is like a work of art.  Catie and I wandered through the Christmas sections, smelling every single Christmas Yankee candle and listening to Christmas tunes.  We then ventured up the Egyptian escalators, past the millinery, through the appointment only swimwear section in to the floor of toys.  We finally made our way into the food halls.  These rooms sparkle with finery, chocolates are piled high, ice cream looks like the mounds seen in Harry Potter, the fruit looks like it is from the garden of Eden, and the scones are delectable (I should know that was my one and only Harrod’s purchase of my life).  You could spends days in this store and still have missed some nooks and crannies.  It is like going to the fair; you just can’t prepare for it.

And these are only a few of the highlights of my week...I could probably go on for pages.  So hopefully you can see that city is overwhelmingly full, and I’m beyond thankful that I can make my home here for the next few weeks, plenty of time to explore. 

Rowing in Hyde Park

Chilling out in Canterbury after visiting the famous Cathedral where pilgrims have worn down the stairs from crawling up them.  Also connected to the Canterbury Tales



Catie and I outside the British Museum in the South African exhibit.; thought of you Tyler :)

Me and my Mousetrap ticket

Trafalgar Square

Seeing a show at The Globe. Thank goodness I wasn't a groundling standing in the pouring rain.  Unfortunately, I did have to make the 1.5 hour trek home in that same rain.


           
             

1 comment:

  1. So many adventures and I love reading about all of them. :)

    ReplyDelete