"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."
-Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Here comes the sun

I didn´t realize how little I had seen the sun until I stepped off the plane into the wonderful world of Madrid.  Catie and I jetted off to the city of Madrid for the weekend, and I´m fully convinced that I have stepped onto a movie set.  Speaking of a movie moment: I knew that my friend Lara would be here for the weekend and as I´m walking through the terminal after getting off the flight, who do I see moving along the moving walkway towards me but LARA! We both freaked out, and I honestly could make no words come to my mouth.  Then we hugged with me on firm ground and she was still on the moving walkway.  We were those crazy girls in the airport.  Mom, you will understand that we definitely had a moment. :)

Since being here, Catie and I have had a number of adventures.  It began before we arrived as we epically left for the airport at 4am, took two buses, a flight, and three metro changes to get here.  Our first afternoon was filled with some exploring that included Retiro Park with its huge entirely Glass Palace, the rose garden filled with every color rose you can imagine (a small taste of home), time in the sunshine in the park, and a visit to the Prado, which is one of the famous art museums in the Golden Triangle here.

That evening we met up with some other girls from Furman who are traveling abroad, and the evening was filled with spanish flair.  It began with a midnight show of traditional flamenco dancing and music. How beautiful and strong the dancers were.  It was like nothing I could have imagined, Spanish flair mixed almost with tap.  The rooms lights were low, the scent of sangria filled the art, and the music of Spain spilled throughout the room.  It was a picture perfect performance.  And if that wasn´t enough to have an ideal Spanish evening, then we went for chocolate and churros.  Now I´m not a huge churro or chocolate fan, but this was divine!  Hot melted chocolate covering warm churros, I bet your mouth is now watering :)  And then...Bourbon Cafe where we of course danced the night away!  And this was only the first evening.

The next day after some rest, Catie and I got a taste of the city by taking a walking tour throughout Madrid.  It is a fascinating culture with so much built into the architecture of the city.  I loved seeing the styles change throughout the city, reflecting the varios transitions of ruling families and religions.  Some highlights included: visiting the Palace, and seeing the Plazas with the statues of Triton and Cibeles.  If you ever have the chance to come here, take it!  I have been here only about 48 hours and am in love.  I´m thankful for the basic spanish I know and can ask for the bathroom and directions :) More adventures to come I am sure and of course the pictures will be posted soon.

Hasta Luego mis amigos!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I love that you're being able to practice that Spanish!! :) :) Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete