"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."
-Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Safe and Sound In Stratford




Hello all, from my lovely bed and breakfast in Stratford! After an 8 hour flight and 3 hour bus ride all 21 of us arrived in the midst of a rainy England afternoon.  Now I officially am here and honestly it hasn't even really sunk in.  All of you who know me would probably be astounded by the lack of naps that I have taken so far.

It is good to have my feet back on solid ground, and right now I'm up in my cozy room with a few other gals from the trip.  I'll give yall a little glimpse of England that I got today...one word...sheep, lots of them.

But seriously, earlier this afternoon I strolled around the town with my roomie, Catie, and some other girls.  We succeeded in flooding a small UK phone store, discovering a Harry Potter shop, and a delicious little cafe called Graze.  It is fascinating to be in a whole new world surrounded by people with amazing accents!  In fact, I'm a bit jealous of all the beautiful accents, though I'm much too fearful of being judged if I attempt my own British speech.  Stratford is pretty much exactly as I imagined; all of the houses look like little cottages and the world surrounds you with green.  Perhaps the world is so green because it is constantly raining, and you can tell the locals by the lack of umbrellas.  I have also discovered why hot tea is such a phenomenon here..they drink it to keep warm when they come in out of the rain.  Nevertheless, I'm in tea HEAVEN

Now, I know I have only been here about one day, but it is just so peaceful here.  I look out my window at the rain and I can see shingled roofs, flowers, and more rain.  Catie and I spent some time this afternoon drinking a cup of hot tea and then exploring.  I can't tell you the last time I explored and had no set schedule.  It is quite freeing!  One thing that is a challenge is the complete change in everything and I honestly have no clue what I'm doing so the verse that I'm clinging to this week is Hebrews 13:5-6.  "...God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.' So we say with confidence, 'The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.  What can man do to me?'"  The same God who is with me at home is upholding me here in England!

Tomorrow the shows begin, first with King Lear, then Antony Cleopatra, Hamlet; the list goes on and on...Tomorrow our Bed and Breakfast proprietor promises to cook us homemade breakfast to order and we will get to spend time with the cast in classes.  Is this study abroad or the best vacation in the world? Now there is only one more thing: To rain or not to rain that is the question?
Cheerio!
Bekah this is for you...our first british dessert of creme, meringue and berries...you would have loved it

Kaitlin, be very jealous of this awesome hogwarts store we found!
They actually sell butterbeer! haha
Dinner at the B&B
View from my window

The dining room at my bed and breakfast








7 comments:

  1. one word: Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!!! So excited you are there and so excited to get to be apart of the next semester with you via your blog! ahhhh SOAK IT UP for me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But do they have the best peach bread? Made by you? lol Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my word. i am so jealous. (is it okay to say that???) and are you really in Stratford? like Stratford Upon Avon? nevermind. i don't want to know. :) if you are, please visit my favorite house--Anne Hathaway's. i someday hope to have the same front garden. i will def be following your blog and praying for you. maybe you can email me some specific things to pray?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I'm SOOO jealous!! To be completely honest, I am getting ridiculously excited right now just thinking about how much fun you're going to have over the next few months and all the life-long memories you'll make! :) :) I will continue to pray that God will clearly reveal those tasks He has for you to do there and that you will constantly be reminded that He has brought you to this specific place "for such a time as this!" Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOOT WOOT! Love you, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmm english breakfast.... get ready for some fried bread and baked beans. And word of warning, if they ask you if you want garden peas o' mushy peas.... go for the garden. It all sounds so dreary and lovely.

    cheers!

    k

    ReplyDelete